There are industry standards for formatting and it’s important that you know and use those standards when submitting work to agents and editors. I’ve adopted those standards for critique submissions because they work well, and they introduce you to the standards if aren’t yet familiar with them.
Submit all files in Word (.doc or .docx) format using the following standards:
- Query letters and synopses should be single spaced. These are the only documents you’ll single space–all others require double spacing.
- Margins – one inch on top, bottom, and sides.
- No spaces between paragraphs.
- Font: Times New Roman 12-point. No exceptions.
- Header: Include your name and the title of the project.
- Footer: Include page numbers-centered.
- For purposes of critique submissions only, begin chapters at the top of the page thus consolidating your page count. For submission to an agent or editor, the chapter would begin at the half page mark.
If you have questions, please email email@example.com. I’m happy to help.